Laurie Goddard’s body of lyrical abstracted landscapes comprises reflections of time spent in Italy, Japan, the Middle East and her home in Western Massachusetts. She sees these visual narratives as distillations of the many cultures she has experienced in her travels. The Asian influence on Laurie’s work comes from the study of Japanese architecture and calligraphy. The Italian influence comes from her years living in Milan. Her recent trip to the Middle East inspired a rich series of works on paper heavily influenced by women, their clothing and their role in the culture there. “Now that I have traveled a bit in the Middle East – Morocco, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia – the desert, the pace and rhythms of the Bedouin, the colors and particularly the music are influencing my work in new ways. In my attempt to reveal underlying structures and reconnect eras, I have come to realize that these references are wonderfully compatible.” Now at home in rural Massachusetts, Laurie is compelled to translate her vision of the ever changing beauty and urgency of life in New England.
The gilding and patination of her works on panel requires intense deliberation, while the under and over painting is gestural and expressionistic. “My favorite materials are encaustics, water based paints and varnishes, oxidized semi-precious leaf and charcoal on both hardboard panels and watercolor paper. The result can be seen as a cool amalgam of a moment or a lifetime. This process, the addition and subtraction of color and the manipulation of the leaf through patination, pushes the limits of water based mediums, and forces their compatibility with metals. Through this tension and transformation the work becomes a travelogue of modern and antique imagery.” Gessoed hardwood panels are gilded with combinations of semi-precious leaf such as silver, copper Dutch metal and metallic powders. The leaf is prepared and applied in the traditional manner. The patinas are created using recipes from Henry Moore – among others – over a period of days. There is sometimes under-painting below the leaf, which she then reveals in the gilding process. Often there is over painting using wash and glazing techniques. Pastels, pencil or charcoal are also applied in the detailing.
“I am influenced by the great Modernists and the Abstract Expressionists, as well as recorded music and poetry. Gesture, serenity, memory, elegance and the thrill of the hunt are my main motives in painting.”Collections:
Permanent collection of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Art in the Embassies: Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Cameroon, the Consulate of the Netherlands.
In the private collections of Claude Picasso, Eli Lily Corp., Nadine Gordon Lee, Ven. Piyatassi Bhikkhu, Sargent Shriver, Emerson College, Donna Karan, Raymond S. Hartman, Dwight Emanuelson, Ms. Renee Rushnawitz, Gwenn Carr, , Gregory Maguire, Amherst College, Mme. Lavinia Samuel.
- Galatea Gallery, Boston – solo show.
- Spring -group show, Vivid Wonders of a Startled Imagination; Gallery 51, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, North Adams, MA.
- June -CCNS annual invitational show, Rowayton, CT
- July -solo show, Blue Stone Gallery, Milford, PA
- October -solo show, Hewar Gallery, Kingdom Tower, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- Redmondbennett Gallery, Dublin, NH, group show
- Meyer Gallery, Park City, Utah, 2 person show
- Hoadley Gallery, Lenox, MA, solo show
- Kebanu Gallery, Bend, OR, solo show
- Bruce Museum Fine Art Show, Greenwich,CT
- Wunderarts Small 2008 invitational show, Amherst, MA
- Kebanu Gallery – Bend, OR
- The Brigham Galleries – Nantucket, MA
- Katie Gingrass Gallery – Milwaukee, WI
- Hoadley Gallery – Lenox, MA
- Lyons View Gallery – Knoxville, TN
- Mimosa – Saratoga Springs, NY
- Wunderarts, Amherst, MA;
- Hoadley Gallery, Lenox MA, solo show
- Guilford Art Show, Guilford CT.
- Left Bank Gallery, Wellfleet MA. 2 person show
- John Slade Ely House, New Haven, Ct
- The Martin Gallery, Charleston, SC
- Kebanu, Bend OR – solo show
- Hoadley Gallery, Lenox, MA – solo show
- Shaw-Cramer Gallery, Vineyard Haven, MA
- The Brigham Galleries, Nantucket, MA
- Kebanu, Bend, OR – solo show
- Left Bank Gallery, Wellfleet, MA
- Wave Gallery, New Haven, CT. – solo show
- Milward Farrell Fine Art, Madison, WI
- Southern Vermont Arts Center, Manchester, Vt. solo show
- Running Ridge Gallery, Santa Fe, NM – solo show
- Southern Vermont Arts Center, Manchester, Vt. group show